Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Father-less Day


CoffeeBoys, originally uploaded by panthergirl.

In the past, I have posted about my own issues with Mother's Day (as it relates to my mother, not to my children). This week, I have to deal with the barrage of Father's Day reminders that are hitting us from every direction.

I can handle my own lack of a father-unit, but it breaks my heart to see my son try and deflect the non-stop overload of commercials, junk mail flyers and in-store posters (especially in the golf places) telling him not to forget Dad this coming Sunday.

For those who don't know, his dad passed away from lung cancer three years ago, at age 46, when Lucas was just 8 years old. I wrote about him here.

Thankfully, he's old enough now (12) that they don't make gifts at school (remember when ashtrays were the Father's Day craft of choice?)

We'll keep busy on Sunday, and maybe take a ride past his dad's last apartment building and wave, something we do periodically anyway.



Thankfully I have hundreds of photographs of Tony with Lucas, and lots of video as well. I've made some stills from those, and this is a favorite of mine... Dad showing 2 year-old Luke the Christmas tree.
(oh, and of course he's not really drinking coffee in the photo above. Silly.)

lukiedaddy96

No comments:

Post a Comment