Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Dream On!



OK, I'll confess: I didn't bother to watch Bush deliver his "State of the Union" address last night (did he finally admit that the Earth is round? That the sun rises in the East and sets in the West? Whew. Good!) but I did not leave for work in the morning until the Oscar nominations were broadcast live during The Today Show. I do have my priorities.

I was mostly pleased, and quite frankly don't understand what the hooplah is about "Dreamgirls" not getting the nod for Best Picture. It wasn't the Best Picture, it wasn't even the Almost Best Picture. It was the OK Picture, and they don't give an Oscar for that. While entertaining, I thought it was light on story and heavy on music (unlike the BRILLIANT "Chicago", which I put in a league with "West Side Story" as far as Broadway-to-film adaptations go). And what was with the singing of dialogue here and there? You either sing it or you don't. Eddie Murphy was terrific and Jennifer Hudson tore up the joint with her "moment", but I'm slightly reluctant to call her an actor just yet.

Loved "The Queen" and "Little Miss Sunshine" (my personal favorite of the bunch) and I've already weighed in on "Babel". I don't get it. I think they got confused between that and the other five letter movie name that starts with a B. And speaking of Borat, passing over Sascha Baron-Cohen for Best Actor is just insane. Seriously.

I still need to see the other two films, and hope I can do that before the awards. I like to stay current, you know. Which is why I watched American Idol on TV last night instead of the Knucklehead-in-Chief.

No comments:

Post a Comment