Monday, October 31, 2005

Cast Your Vote!



As some of you know, I am hoping to publish a memoir of my wacky life. What I've struggled with, to date, is the concept of writing a linear piece. A beginning, a middle and an end. I do much better with vignettes, the way I write them here.

I have two friends who are published writers. One is encouraging me to go the vignette route, and points to several other writers who have done this succesfully (Anne Lamott, David Sedaris, Melissa Bank). The other friend says absolutely not. He says that writing a book with chapters takes thinking and work, and that I should not try to avoid that. He claims that people want to read chapters...not vignettes.

So, dear readers, what do you think? Is writing a book of related but separate vignettes a cop-out?

No comments:

Post a Comment