Sunday, November 20, 2005

Not the Best Weekend or, "Understatement of the Year"

Well, just got back from being in the hospital all day. At about 8:30 this morning I started wheezing and nothing I did, including the nebulizer, was working. I wound up crawling into Lucas' room and had him call my wonderful friend Joy, who came right away and called 911. We had a houseful of cops, medics, ambulance corps people...it was quite a festival. My dog Kelso never got off the chair. Vicious watchdogs, those greyhounds.

Anyway...things got progressively worse so I had to be ambulanced to the hospital for a bunch of treatments and tests. I'm ok now... chest x-rays clear, given prednisone to take for a few days and have to see my doctor tomorrow AND make an appointment with a pulmonologist. Should have done that months ago, but life gets in the way.

The worst part was before we left home, when I thought I was actually a bit better and didn't need the ambulance, I started having real spasms in my chest and couldn't breathe at all. I was "whooping" (kind of like sobbing is how I would describe it) uncontrollably. This was very scary for Lucas, of course.

Once I was stablilized and on the way to the hospital, I said to the medic "I'm worried about my son. He's so scared because his father died of lung cancer two years ago." She looked at me and said (I kid you not): "So? What does that have to do with anything?" I sucked down some more oxygen, but she was for real. "Doesn't the kid know the difference between asthma and cancer?" I said of course he does, but frankly he's afraid of ME DYING... get it?? (Well, I didn't have the energy to say quite that, but I thought it)

What an asshole!!

Anyway, on the positive side my friend Joy was, as always, a life saver. I don't have any family nearby and although my neighbors have left notes saying they'd be happy to help out next time, it's so much better to have good friends that know Lucas. I guess I should get out more.

(Oh, and did I mention that my MINI Cooper died on the highway on my way to work on Thursday? Electrical system failure. Two months ago the power steering pump 'went' (their word). So...it's been a bang-up couple of days. Hope you guys are faring better.)

I'm better now though... just rested while Lucas cleaned and vacuumed the whole house. Looking forward to "Rome" tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment