Sunday, July 23, 2006

He Put a Spell on Me



I saw Leon Russell in concert in 1971, at the then-new Nassau Coliseum. My best friend and I "charmed" our way into the FIRST row of a packed house, where we jumped and screamed and were completely convinced that Leon was singing a song for US. I don't remember much else about the concert, because another friend was with us...the son of a dentist. And with him? A canister of nitrous oxide. Anyone else out there who got high on laughing gas and promised to make out with a security guard to sit in the first row of a Leon Russell concert? I didn't think so.

Fast foward to yesterday, when I saw a poster in my local pharmacy window advertising a Leon Russell concert this weekend. At the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield, CT.

I was simultaneously thrilled and horrified. Wouldn't it be fun to see Leon again? Or would it? Should I just remember him as he was, and me as I was? (Fans will still probably have canisters...of OXYGEN!)

No comments:

Post a Comment