Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Week in Reviews

Movie:


The Sea Inside. Intense film that explores the real life struggle of Ramon Sampedro, fighting the Spanish government for the right to kill himself. It's an emotional and compelling look at euthanasia, and Javier Bardem does an amazing job. It's no surprise that this film won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film and even LESS surprising that it won for Best Makeup. You have to see it to believe it.


Book:


Anderson Cooper's Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters and Survival. I love Anderson Cooper, and this book which is a combination memoir and an insider's look at field journalism, did not disappoint. I knew a little about his personal life, but not the things I found out from reading this. I listened to the audiobook, and couldn't turn it off. Four hours later, I decided to save the last 30 minutes for my drive into work. Just didn't want it to end.

Currently reading "The Kite Runner". (link in sidebar)


TV:


Big Brother All-Stars. A guilty pleasure, but at least I'm not paying for the live feeds (anymore). Please get rid of "Chicken George". Season One was such a disaster you would think they'd have disqualified ALL of the contestants from that season for being terminally boring. Like this reporter from MSNBC , Panthergirl likes to pretend she has better things to do than watch Big Brother 7 three nights a week. She does not.

Death:


Ken Lay. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Although he really deserved to get some prison-lovin', so he could experience what it's like to get fucked by "management". I still think he killed himself, rather than take what was coming to him.

Tyrant:


Kim Jong-il (or "Kim Jong the Second", as Cheney called him). Check him out in Team America: World Police. The guy would be laughable if he wasn't so damned frightening.

Sport:
I par'd a par 4. OK, so that's not news for most people, but it is for me!! I have THIS to thank ...

No comments:

Post a Comment