Tuesday, April 24, 2007

He's Kinda Pitchy, Dawg



My son loves his iPod Shuffle. I load it up periodically with new stuff so he doesn't have to listen to "Bad to the Bone" a million times. He loves him some Tom Waits, and is happiest listening to Tom's latest 3-CD extravaganza, "Orphans". His taste in music is really eclectic, from the aforemention Waits to the "Chicago" soundtrack to Yo-Yo Ma. He loves The Killers and The Cardigans and Tegan and Sara, but still adores the Sesame Street classic gems I've included such as Ernie's "Dance Myself to Sleep" and "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" (I'll admit to being reduced to tears every time I hear that one). One of his favorite tunes is The JCB Song by Nizlopi...a little gem I discovered quite by accident. Doesn't hurt that it's about a boy named Luke and his dad.

So, what's the problem? Well...for all of his marvelous music-appreciation abilities, the kid can't carry a tune across the room. It is a trait he inherited from his father (one dear friend of mine gets an enormous kick out of the fact that I attribute all of my son's less-than-stellar qualities to his dad, while taking full credit for his brilliance. So sue me.) Anyway, we're not talking a little bit tone deaf. We are talking Eddie Murphy in "48 Hours" tone deaf. Make a dog scream for mercy tone deaf.

I don't have the heart to ask him not to sing along with the iPod. He's enjoying himself SO much. But this certainly explains why he had a soft spot for Sanjaya.

However, he started out with a decent voice, although the Beatles lyrics were a little confusing for a 2 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment