Monday, June 18, 2007

Very Poor Insurance!



Seems like a good idea, right? Medical insurance for your pet. I've been paying premiums to VPI for the past three years, mostly out of fear that my dog will get some horrible illness or injury and I won't have the cash to lay out to care for him.

However, this insurance has turned out to be more trouble than it's worth. Kelso injured his back last November, to the tune of $600, and I still haven't been able to get the claim paid. They tell me that the records they received from my vet were incomplete, so the vet has sent the paperwork no fewer than three times. Each time, we think we're good, and then 60 days later I get a letter stating that the "requested records were not received."

In the meantime, Kelso got sick in February and I submitted a claim for almost $900 of which they paid a whopping $300. (Why, might you ask, were they able to process that claim without said "records"? Beats me.)

Right now, as I type, I am listening to the dulcet tones of the VPI "hold" music. Today they are telling me that the missing records are from 2002. The only problem there is that I didn't GET Kelso until February of 2003.

ARGH. Every year I'm tempted to drop the stupid policy, but I'm sure that when I do something terrible will happen! Insurance is like the Catholic Church: makes its money through fear and guilt.

**See comments box for a direct response from VPI. They either search the web for blog posts about pet insurance, or this is a very weird coincidence.**

No comments:

Post a Comment