Friday, February 16, 2007

"One hundred and EIGHTY!"


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


OK, so I should probably add an 11th "things I've done that you probably haven't" that reads: Got my picture in the New York Observer and my name in "Bulls Eye News" for my outstanding dart throwing skills. (Yes, there's really a magazine called Bulls Eye News.)

When I was married to husband #2, he taught me how to throw darts. We had a board in our kitchen, and at night while he was working I would throw and throw and throw while my daughter was asleep. He was a really skilled player, so we started to frequent a dart bar and eventually started joined the NYC league. I played a lot and became pretty skilled myself. (Except for the choking factor, but that's a general problem I have with all sports.)

It was an interesting world, the dart world, because the people in it were either hard drinking, hard smoking types (think Tuesday nights at the bowling alley), or white collar ad agency types, or artists and musicians. This picture was taken at our home base -- a bar called Muffin's Pub --, in 1990, when the New York Observer did a cover story about the dart scene.

One night in 1992 I was scheduled to play but decided to meet a friend for dinner instead. That night Muffin's was held up by two masked gunmen and who came in firing shotguns, killing the bartender. One of those "simple twist of fate" things, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment