Friday, March 16, 2007

Macho, Macho Man...



"300". The most hilarious serious film you'll see (or won't see, if you're smarter than me) all year.

I made the mistake of believing the 8.3 rating on IMDB, not realizing that those who voted were probably 18 year old boys who like to scream "raaaargh" and pound their chests. At the movies.

The dialogue is absolutely ridiculous. One reviewer hit the nail on the head when she pointed out a moment when a character says "This won't be over quickly, and you won't enjoy it." That's a one-line assessment of this film. Although I wouldn't say I didn't "enjoy" it. I was laughing so hard I was crying. How can you not enjoy a film about the Village People confronting Grace Jones, Quasimodo and Dumbo? Especially when it tries to be so. heavy.

You think I'm kidding? If you see it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.



I realize this was inspired by Frank Miller's graphic novel. But this isn't a graphic novel. It's a cartoon. It's the Road Runner in Speedos (with a lot of impaling and decapitations).

If you do plan to see this film, you might not want to schedule it before or after a meal. If the gore doesn't make you nauseaus, the script will.

No comments:

Post a Comment