Monday, May 28, 2007

Apocalypse Then




First, I just want to say that I never take Oprah's lead when it comes to books. (I actually can't stand Oprah, but that's fodder for another post). So the fact that this is an "Oprah's Book Club" pick had nothing to do with me reading it. It was recommended by a few people with whom I usually share "book taste".

The good news is that this tale of a man and his young son struggling to survive as they traverse a post-Apocalyptic America a very quick read. The bad news is that it's a quick read at times because a good portion of the book is the same scenario over and over and over. (Remember watching The Flintstones, when Fred would run through the house and in the background you'd see table, lamp, window...table, lamp, window?)

That's not to say it's a bad book. Some of the language is quite lush and expressive, the relationship between the boy and his father is gripping at times (although having them referred to only as "the man" and "the boy" made it hard for me to feel much for them.) It's a bleak and depressing experience, so if that's what you're looking for...have at it.

Personally, the best post-Apocalyptic book I've ever read is the little known



For me, this is the book that "The Road" can only aspire to be. Hear that, Oprah?

No comments:

Post a Comment