Friday, May 25, 2007

Marathon Woman?



For years, one of the highlights of living in NYC was watching the marathon every year, cheering the athletes (both elite and ordinary) from the sidelines. Sure, it was fun to see the stars, but we'd always hang around all day long to cheer the stalwart few who were crossing the finish line 7 or 8 hours after everyone else.

Well, sometime in mid-June I'll find out if my number was picked so I, too, can be one of the stalwart few this coming November. I don't run anymore, so I'll be walking the 26.2 miles if I'm "lucky" enough to be picked.

Actually, I'll be thrilled to do it. The training will involve walking 3-4 miles almost every day (I walk anywhere from 2 to 4 miles a day now), walking about 12 miles one day a week (I've done that before..have iPod, will travel), and one day of cross-training. I know that if I can do it, I'll feel great about myself at 52 (which is how old I'll be by then).

Anyone out there who's walked a marathon? There are a few message boards that I've checked out, and if I'm picked I'll probably connect with some other people who are walking NYC this year. But I'd love to know if any of my blog buddies have done it (or want to! You have until June 1st to apply!)

(For you young whippersnappers who don't know where this photo comes from, look up this quote: "Is it safe?" Yeeeeek!)

No comments:

Post a Comment