Monday, July 25, 2005

Get Out Your Handkerchiefs

Lucas and I spent a wonderful day in the city yesterday. We went to the Central Park zoo which is always a treat, but yesterday especially so. A polar bear decided to get a break from the heat and situate herself where everyone could get a good look (you can see the reflection of the crowd she drew in the glass). All I could think was, "I hope that glass is strong enough to hold her!"

polar bear

luke and the polar bear

Then we went to see The March of the Penguins. I started weeping before the opening credits were over. It is amazingly beautiful. However, Lucas was sobbing and wanted to leave after the first penguin death. I kept him calm but there were several more sad scenes and he could barely take it. When the final predator scene was beginning, I convinced him to close his eyes and we made it through the entire movie. Afterwards I explained that it was a film about survival, because most of them make it through impossible odds.

See it, but be prepared. If you or your children are sensitive (like me, who still blubbers at "Day of the Dolphin"), bring tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment