Saturday, July 16, 2005

Halloween on Wheels

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you'll know that Halloween is my favorite holiday. Screw Christmas, keep Flag Day, I barely notice Arbor Day. But Halloween... I live for it. Having kids made it even better because I coulduse them in my shameless quest for attention, which is of course what drives me to come up with such inventive costumes.

I loved Halloween as a kid and we'd actually have huge family parties (but hated that "dunking for apples" game. Ew. Gross). I still dress up and sometimes go to work that way, as with my now famous "Old Spice" get-up:




But I have the MOST fun coming up with ideas for the kids. This past year, my sister bought Lucas a suit. He insisted on wearing it to school for Picture Day. (I was really afraid he'd get made fun of. At the end of the day, when I asked about that, he said "I don't think so. One kid said, 'Hey, it's picture day...not the Presidential Debate!' but I don't think he was making fun of me.") I loved the way his pictures turned out, but I had other plans for that suit...



I it as the perfect foundation for a Halloween costume. Add a fedora and a Superman t-shirt and whaddya get? Clark Kent!


Of all the costumes over the years, one of my favorites HAS to be Emma's racecar. We lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn where they have a big Halloween parade every year after dark. Everyone in the neighborhood comes out for it and a local mounted police officer brings up the rear as the Headless Horseman (really pretty scary!). Emma was just slightly over a year old, and although she had been walking since she was 9 months old we knew that walking in the parade for ten blocks at night would be too much. What to do?

Her dad and I came up with the idea of creating a costume around her stroller. He put together the racecar out of foam core, and added "decals" that read pTa, Crayola and Pampers. She wore her bike helmet, and the steering wheel was a highchair toy. For the actual parade, he and I and two friends wore painters' paper jumpsuits that said "pit crew" on the back. I think it turned out great.



(click on pics to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment