Monday, August 28, 2006

America's Holocaust



I am watching Brian Williams (NBC)'s retrospective on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, one year ago. I sit here, feeling the way some Germans must feel about the Holocaust. Deeply ashamed that something of this nature could happen in one's own country.

It wasn't the hurricane that caused the devestation. It was the blatant disregard for human life...the human life of poor people who were rounded up like cattle and left to die. For FIVE DAYS. And in a brief glimpse of Williams' interview with Bush, to be aired tomorrow night, we get to see that goddamned smirk in reaction to a sincere question about racism. I don't know about you, but if someone were to suggest that I was a racist, I don't think a smirk would be the facial expression of choice.

We "impeach" a President for getting a blowjob, but we somehow let this slip by? What is wrong with this government?? How can anyone see the footage, look at the photographs, or read any eyewitness accounts of those five days and not feel overwhelming anger and shame?

I've said this since day one: I don't just think Bush should have been impeached. I think he should have been, and should still be, prosecuted.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE LITERALISTS: I am not EQUATING the Katrina aftermath to the actual Holocaust. What I am pointing out is this: Holocaust: Group of human beings deemed less valuable than others, and as a result are killed. Katrina Aftermath: Group of human beings deemed less valuable than others, and as a result are killed. As we say in Brooklyn,"CAPEESH?"

No comments:

Post a Comment