Thursday, March 17, 2005

A Die-Hard Pacifist Confesses


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I love boxing. There. I said it. I can't quite resolve it in my little dove-head, but I do. My recent fixation with NBC's The Contender is just a confirmation of what I've already known: I love watching guys beat the crap out of each other. Well, I mean in a semi-controlled, art-form kinda way.

This show is amazing (although I'm one of a relatively small TV audience who seems to think so). There are some cheesy moments with Stallone and Sugar Ray, but the show itself and the desperate boxers and their families are really compelling. The two guys who "wanted each other so badly" on last week's episode were either going to kill each other or make out before the show was over. What can I say? Tensions run high!

If I have a criticism, it would come from my undying impulse to protect every child on the planet. I cannot STAND seeing these little 2 and 3 year old (or even 5 and 6 year old) kids watching their fathers get and give a pummeling in the ring. Last week, a little girl dressed up like a piƱata was covering her eyes as her daddy's brains rearranged themselves in his skull. C'mon...this stuff is GREAT to watch, but there needs to be a height requirement to enter the 'gymnasium'. There would be plenty of human drama without permanently scarring these poor children. If they would just get the kids out, this show would be my favorite guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment